Old ChapelChrist ChurchThe Acolytes





Home
Sunday Worship Schedule
Calendar of Parish Ministries

Weddings
Sermon Preview
Vestry By-laws adopted 2009
Gallery
History of Cunningham Chapel Parish

Christ Church

is located at
809 Bishop Meade Rd
Millwood, Virginia

(Rt. 255)
Across from Project Hope
 

CONTACT US

Office e-mail:
click here

Office Hours:
Tuesday - Friday

8:30 AM -12 Noon

Telephone:
540-837-1112

Fax:
540-837-1157

Mailing Address:
PO Box 153
Millwood, Virginia 22646

 

LINKS

 

 

 

 

 

The Churches of Cunningham Chapel Parish

Click image above to view enlargement

Cunningham Chapel Parish grew out of Frederick Parish which was created concurrently with Frederick County in 1738 by an act of the colonial General Assembly of Virginia as an ecclesiastical unit of the Church of England.   Cunningham Chapel was the first of three chapels of the parish.  It was probably constructed in 1747, at a location three miles south of present day Berryville. After the original log building was destroyed in the Revolutionary War, it was replaced by a stone structure, Old Chapel, that still stands today at a site near the present intersection of US Route 340 and VA Route 255.

"Old Chapel" is the oldest Episcopal Church in continuous use west of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  Old Chapel was originally referred to as "the Chapel at Cunningham's" (Cunningham's being the name of the tavern near the chapel).

In the 1840s, we outgrew our chapel known as "Old Chapel" and built Christ Church in the village of Millwood. During this period, nearly every Episcopal church from the southern end of the Shenandoah Valley into what is now West Virginia was established by the Rt. Rev. William Meade, third Bishop of Virginia, and fifth rector of our parish. At that time, the parish was named "Frederick," for the county from which it was formed in 1733. One of our many missions, Christ Church in Winchester, requested the Frederick Parish name when it became independent, and we gave it to them, renaming ourselves Cunningham Chapel Parish.

When the railroad came through the town of Boyce (then called "Boyceville") at the end of the 19th century, the parish built Emanuel Chapel in 1912 at the crossroads of what is now US 340 and VA Route 723 to serve the thriving new railroad community of Boyce.

Click to view A brief history of the Christ Church Memorial Garden.

 

 

 
 

The Ministers of the Parish
 

 
     

William Meldrum.............................. 1761-1765
(Frederick Parish)

Benjamin Sebastian........................... 1767-1768
(Frederick Parish)

Charles Mynn Thruston........................ 1769-1775
(Frederick Parish)

Alexander Balmaine........................... 1785-1820
(Frederick Parish)

William Meade................................ 1811-1835
(3rd Bishop of Virginia)

Horace Stringfellow.......................... 1835-1840

William G.H. Jones........................... 1840-1847

John Francis Hoff............................ 1847-1858

Joseph Ravenscroft Jones..................... 1858-1881

C. Braxton Bryan............................. 1881-1891

John Poyntz Tyler............................ 1891-1895
Bishop of N. Dakota

J. Courtney Jones............................ 1896-1903

Edward H. Ingle.............................. 1903-1905

John Maxwell Robeson......................... 1906-1915

B. Duvall Chambers........................... 1916-1934

Robert A. Goodwin............................ 1934-1940

Claudius P. Shelton.......................... 1941-1942

G. Peyton Craighill.......................... 1943-1949

Francis B. Rhein............................. 1949-1954

James L.B. Williams.......................... 1954-1958

Frank Q. Cayce............................... 1959-1965

Holland B. Clark............................. 1966-1974

E. Guthrie Brown............................. 1974-1985

William L. Martin............................ 1986-1989

James Montgomery............................. 1990-1991

Peter R. Gustin.............................. 1991-2002

C. Thomas Holliday........................... 2003-2005

Anne Leslie Yount Manson..................... 2006-2010

Karin Chambers MacPhail ..................... 2011- 

 ______________________________________________________


Home Page | Sunday Worship Schedule | Calendar of Parish Ministries | What's New | Weddings
Sermon Preview | Gallery of Photos | Old Chapel | Christ Church | Acolytes
Vestry By-laws Adopted 2009 | History of Cunningham Chapel Parish

Office Email:  christchurch@cunninghamparish.org